Saturday 12 February 2011

KEITH SEES HIMSELF ON FILM - 40 YEARS AGO!

Keith Garrison got the shock of his life when he went to the Carlton Cinema in Westgate the other night. For the first time ever he saw his film debut -- 40 years ago.

Birchington resident Keith, 64, went to see “Thanet On Film”, a compilation of footage about Thanet from the 1920s to the present day, totally unaware of what he was about to see.

Keith was watching a section of the film about Margate shot in 1970, when he heard a song which sounded familiar. “Then I realised – I’d written it,” said Keith, “And there I was playing it.”

“I was amazed and surprised – as was the person sitting next to me, when I shouted ‘That’s me!’ ”

Keith is shown in the film playing and singing to a group of dancing mini-skirted girls in the old Grosvenor Court hotel in Cliftonville, which is now a retirement home.

Keith, who used to write for a local drama club in Birchington in the 1960s, said: “I’d forgotten all about taking part in this film. All I knew was it was a publicity film for Margate and Michael Aspel was in it. I was singing one of my own songs called Another Wonderful Day.”

“And I never saw the film or myself in it until the other night in the Carlton Cinema. I got the shock of my life!” He added: “I had hair in those days!”

The public will have their last chance to see the phenomenally popular “Thanet On Film” this weekend when it get its final screenings at the Granville Theatre in Ramsgate.

The 78 minute film includes vintage footage of Thanet from the 1920s to the 1970s and explores the impact of the decline in seaside holidays on the area. It also explores the future for Thanet and hopes for the regeneration of the area through initiatives such as the new Turner Contemporary Gallery.
The film’s producer Christine Tongue said: “It was great Keith saw his film debut after all these years. If anyone else sees themselves in the film this weekend, we really want to hear from them. Maybe we’ll interview them for the next film we make about Thanet.”

“Thanet On Film” will be shown in the Granville Cinema, Ramsgate on Friday February 11th and Saturday 12th at 7.30pm. There will also be a special matinee screening in Ramsgate on Saturday 12th at 2.30pm. Bookings are advisable, telephone 01843 591750.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note comments that may be libellous, comments that may be construed as offensive and anonymous derogatory comments about real people will be deleted. Also note the facility to leave anonymous comment will be turned of during periods when I am unable to monitor comment, this will not affect people commenting who are signed on to their blogger accounts.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.